Red cedar is among the most widespread tree species in the Pacific Northwest. It grows in a wide range of environments, on mountainsides, in lush forests and forested swamps and on the banks of streams.
At Middletown Lumber, the primary source for our western red cedar supply is an old-growth mill out of Victoria, British Columbia. This environmentally conscious mill is part of the Sustained Forest Initiative and is known for managing its forests responsibly.
Benefits Of Western Red Cedar Lumber
Western red cedar lumber offers numerous benefits for consumers or contractors completing indoor or outdoor construction projects.
- Natural Beauty: Western red cedar is a beautiful building material, featuring colors of deep brown and red tones that accentuate textured wood grains and exposed heartwood areas.
- Versatility: Because it’s free of both resin and pitch, it can be covered in a variety of finishes and stains, from transparent formulas to elegant darker versions.
- Vast History: Western red cedar has been used for centuries in the Pacific Northwest and other regions to build longhouses, canoes and buildings.
- Natural Durability: This cedar wood has an outstanding reputation for durability and resistance to weather damage and decay, making it suitable for outdoor projects. It’s also naturally insect-resistant.
- Stability: Among other conifer trees, western red cedar has more stability, which means it resists warping, cupping and twisting over time and when subject to fluctuations in temperature.
- Insulative Properties: Western red cedar’s high thermal coefficient means it’s great for thermal insulation and sound control. When it’s used to build structures such as greenhouses and conservatories, it can help them stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Sustainable: As with other natural woods, western red cedar lumber helps remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and has the least impact on air and water quality compared to synthetic materials, such as concrete and steel.
Types Of Building Projects Suitable For Western Red Cedar
Western red cedar is an excellent choice for building projects because of its longevity, resistance to damage from weather and insects and natural beauty contained in its patterns, color and acceptance of finishes. Anything you build with western red cedar is going to last longer than other types of wood and require less maintenance.
It’s an excellent choice for building outdoor decks, storage sheds, houses, benches, outdoor seating areas and porches.
Western Red Cedar At Middletown Lumber
At Middletown Lumber, we sell a variety of boards, decking and siding made from western red cedar. Depending on the type of board, all four sides may be surfaced, while other types have one face and two edges surfaced with one rough side. We offer kiln-dried boards, tongue-and-groove siding, cedar shakes and shingles, beveled siding and lattice panels in many lengths and widths. We also offer custom milling on-site for all types of wood. To find out what boards we have in stock at the time, you can contact us for more information on what’s available for your project.
Contact Middletown Lumber In Middletown, PA
Whether you’re tackling a DIY project, big or small, or you’re a local outfit looking to purchase wood from us, we can help you decide which building materials are best. Western red cedar is an excellent choice for indoor and outdoor projects, and it can help enhance the beauty of your home. Give us a call during regular business hours to find out how we can help at 717-944-4005.
|Knotty Western Red Cedar Decking
5/4×6 sold in lengths of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20
|Kiln Dried Select Knotty S1S2E (Surfaced one face, two edges and one rough face)
1×4, 1×6, 1×8 and 1×12
|Kiln Dried Select Knotty S4S (Surfaced 4 Sides)
2×4, 2×6, *2×8, *2×10, *2×12, and 4×4
(*)Are not available Kiln Dried.
|Kiln Dried A&Better (Clear) S4S (Surfaced 4 Sides)
1×4, 1×6, 1×8, 1×10, 1×12, 5/4×4, 5/4×6, 5/4×8, 2×2, 2×4 and 2×6
|Western Red Cedar Timbers (Surfaced 4 Sides)
4×4 and 6×6
|Tongue & Groove Siding
1×6 T&G Select Knotty
1×6 T&G A & Better clear mixed grain
|Cedar Bevel Siding
1/2×6, 1/2×8 and 3/4×10 Clear Vertical Grain
|Cedar Shakes and Shingles
24” Royals #1 Blue Label Red Cedar Shingles
24” #1 Medium Hand Split Red Cedar Shakes
|Cedar Lattice Panels
1x4x8 Heavy Duty Diagonal Privacy
1x4x8 Heavy Duty Square Privacy
- Knotty 5/4×6 Decking
- Kiln Dried Select Knotty S1S2E
- Kiln Dried A & Better (Clear) S4S
- Timbers 4×4 and 6×6
- Tongue & Groove Siding
- Bevel Siding
- Cedar Shakes & Shingles
- Cedar Lattice Panels